Saturday, March 8, 2008

How Does Your Light Shine?














Full Disclosure part 1: I really only wanted to hear this band because of 'Mama Told Me (Not to Come), which was featured prominently in the film Boogie Nights. And it took a lot of effort to start exploring this band because I honestly associate it with another, considerably more horrible film, The Big Chill which featured 'Joy to the World'. Anyway, I could never find any proper albums of Three Dog Night and they basically fell off my radar. Which brings us to Full Disclosure part 2: The only reason I reignited my search for more Three Dog Night was the television series Lost, which featured their song 'Shambala' in an episode from their third season. Ridiculously catchy, I went on looking and sure enough, found a whole whack of their records on Usenet, including Cyan, their 1973 album on which you will find that tune. Imagine my surprise that while 'Shambala' is the catchiest song on the record, it's actually chock full of great songs, despite having uniformly disastrous song titles ('Happy Song', 'Play Children Play' etc.) I literally ended up playing the album all day long. In contrast to the Boz Scaggs album from last week, this music is VERY dated, and is undeniably from the year 1973 which was a great year, in my opinion. Anyway, give this record a shot.

No comments: