Saturday, March 1, 2008

Another Day, Another Letter





















So a month goes by without a post. As far as resolutions for the new year go, this one clearly got blown to hell. I promised myself if I started doing this I'd be regular about it, and a goddamn month has gone by. My reader must be terribly disappointed. So to make up for that, a BOZ SCAGGS ALBUM! Obviously a joke, right? Not at all, a super album that should be heard by all. When I think Boz Scaggs, I think 70s AM radio and not the good 'Nights Went Out in Georgia' kind either. However, I was surprised to see that one of the degenerates from the Obner board put a Boz song on one of his monger mixes ('Loan Me a Dime' with Duane Allman, which is not making its first appearance here, appearing on Duane's Anthology). It was a fine bit of music that had me seeking out more. First thing, is how out of time this probably sounded in 1969. Country-soul, bloozy rock, it's surprisingly not-dated. In fact, it might sound like someone current trying to sound like a throwback. Except again, it was ahead of its time in 1969. The closest cousin to this would probably be the the stuff on Let it Bleed that's not 'Gimme Shelter' or 'Monkey Man'. His following albums had their Moments, haha, but nothing as great as this simple record.

No comments: