Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Wish It Was Saturday Night...



I only heard the Blasters a few years ago and was duly impressed, but to be honest it was Dave Alvin's solo songs heard on a few choice mixes that put me on the search to hear more. Lucky as usual, usenet provides and in this case, doubly so. The debut albums of both brothers, Phil Alvin's
Un-Sung Songs from 1986 and Dave Alvin's Romeo's Escape from 1987. Plenty to recommend on both, the straight country that Dave has blew me away 'Every Night About This Time' could be a Don Williams song (close enough that I actually went and checked to verify), plus the basic perfection of '4th of July' makes this an excellent country rock album. Phil's album is qualitatively different but no less impressive, with the dip towards more blues, jazz and 50's style rave-ups. Not generally my thing, but damned if this didn't get under my skin, particularly 'Daddy Rollin Stone'. I mainly wish it was Saturday because this album and Dave's need to be played at around 9pm with some folks over and drinks being served. Also, Phil's album seems to demand cigarettes, lots of them. The pops of the vinyl rip seem to give a puff of sweet menthol every time.

2 comments:

Transition Desert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Transition Desert said...

Hey, thanks for linking these albums. From one disgruntled, music-appreciating bastard to the next- it's much appreciated! Hope you're doing well, where you are and whatever you're up to.