Thursday, November 1, 2007

First post, first song...

Yeah, this is it, my first blog, and the first post on it. My number one has got to have the best song I heard today, which was stolen from another blog, of course. Mind you he probably stole it from where so I guess we're even, or at least nearly balanced. I'm not gonna reference that blog because I don't want to draw undue attention to it via the thousands of folks who will soon descend up White Russians are For Saturday Afternoons.

So the best song I heard today? Probably 'Time Race' by Ray Paul and RPM. It came my way after a malcontent told me about this blog hosting rare power pop albums. On it was this band's 1980 album Go Time. The album cover is as great as the music.


















'Time Race' isn't a a classic by any stretch of the imagination. At 5.03, it's probably at least 2 min too long. It's vaguely Springsteenish with an 'epic tune' feel, and with a beginning that kind of reminds me of 'Thunder Road' and a latter third suggesting they invited Clarence to come on in to make it even more so. But the chorus stayed with all day long and I kept wanting to play it again.

Time Race

I've been working my way through all these albums and some startling realizations began to occur. I really am starting to care less and less about new bands when these forgotten greats still have some life in them. These blogs are like the slogan from The Canadian Blood Service, "Blood. It's in you to give", except it's "Jail rock from 20 and 30 years ago, it's in you to keep it alive and corruptable." By continuing to steal from others with more inspiration and better ideas, I'll try to do so. In addition, I'll also be sharing interesting cooking ideas, non-specific commentary and current science news. And plenty of drinking, of course.

No comments: